7 Things You May (Or May Not) Know About Me
- Link to your original tagger(s) and list these rules in your post.
- Share seven facts about yourself in the post.
- Tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names and the links to their blogs.
- Let them know theyâ€™ve been tagged.
- My full name is Brian William Michael King. William is my grandfather’s name (my Dad’s Dad), and Michael is my Dad’s name (better known as Mick). I never met my grandfather, he died before I was born, but I am told I look quite like him. If I have a son I will call him Sue.
- When I was younger I was a sports freak. I played a lot, including but not only – Gaelic Football, Hurling, Basketball, Soccer, Tennis and Rugby. When not playing, I watched almost any sport you can think of on the telly, from snooker to golf to darts. I gave up playing pretty much cold turkey when I was 16. Nowadays I watch no sport, with the exception of a bit of soccer here or there in major championships or when the Irish national team is playing.
- I have Type 1 Diabetes, aka Diabetes mellitus, aka that particular genetic dice rolled my way. I am insulin dependent. I was diagnosed at age 31 which is quite late, Type 1 diabetes is also know as juvenile diabetes. My sister Paula was diagnosed when she was 7. I thought I escaped, but alas.
- I was a vegetarian for 8 years. Nothing unusual there. I went back to eating meat when I got diabetes, as I lost a lot of weight at the time and it was too hard to balance the diet with my other medical needs. I’m fighting fit these days and am considering a vegetarian diet again.
- When I was 18, I won a US green card in a lottery. During my college years and a couple of years after, I spent nearly all of my holidays in the US to keep it valid. I have lived in Connecticut (one of my sisters lives there), Boston (MA), Phoenix (AZ), and Boulder (CO) as well as visiting a bunch of other states. Eventually my visits became less frequent when I decided I wanted to stick it out in good ol’ Europe, and the green card lapsed. Later I lived in Vancouver, Canada, for a year on a work contract.
- I came late to computers, probably because of #2. I was never into computer games growing up, and my first real exposure was typing up essays in college. My first Bachelors degree was in Politics and History at UCD, and after a year break I went back and did something completely different. I did a Higher Diploma in IT at NUI Maynooth. Luckily it was a good match and it thrust me into my future career.
- I love dogs, but never had one growing up. Now I have an adopted “son”, Dolus, a graceful Black Labrador who is going on in years but remains a great pal.
7 people I tag:
- David Boswell – because it is not as if he has enough to do already.
- Sheppy – because he was not feeling the meme love.
- David Rolnitzky – because choffman told me to, and because David is fun and smart.
- Matthew Zeier – because he is a good Dad.
- Jure Cuhalev – because he likes to blog, and he can spruce up his post with Zemanta.
- Matthew Gertner – because he speaks many languages.
- Doug Warner – because of the wonderful things he does.